Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Girl in the Blue Dress

I haven't painted anything great in a long time. A really long time. So long, that I honestly started feeling pretty mediocre. I needed to do something, so I pulled out a cheap canvas painted with palm trees and a beach scene that my mom had picked up for me at a garage sale last year... and used it for the purpose she intended. I painted. 

I pulled out some old canvas for the kids and put some acryllics on paper plates for them, too. Annie painted a Spring Play. :) She's so cool. 

 

While the kids were occupied making a huge mess, I sat there, painting, completely immersed, for about two and a half hours. It was so refreshing. I was more relaxed than I've been in a long time, and it brought out a part of myself that I hadn't seen in a long time... the artist. 

I don't dub myself an artist. I know that I'm nothing compared to the vast majority of artists out there, and honestly, I don't think you should be the one to dub yourself something like that - it should come from those who love (and BUY) your art. But there is this teeny little artist that lives inside me and likes to come out from time to time, and I hadn't seen her in way too long. 

I didn't know what I was going to paint when I started, so I just painted a dark background and sloppy checker floor. Then came the chaise, and then the dress outline... then head and arms, feet... hair (which I thought was going to be pulled up into a fancy 'do, and brunette, but somehow ended up long and blonde)...

And there she was. 




She's this pretty girl, all dressed up for the night, but feeling like she's somehow not good enough, pretty enough... and she feels fat in her dress. So there she is, at this amazing party, sitting in the other room in the dark and missing so much joy. She's blue, in her blue dress... but she's still so beautiful and vibrant. She lights up the room. Sometimes she just can't see it.



Her story became so real to me as I painted her, and it was no longer me creating her, but her recreating me. 



Hope I didn't sound like a complete freak, but, hey, I get to do that... I'm an aaaartist. ;)
I'm so happy that I finally pulled out the paint and brushes, and I can't wait to do more! 


God bless!
Jessica

 

1 comment:

  1. Love it - especially the story it tells. So glad that you're painting again!

    ReplyDelete