Thursday, September 5, 2013

Little Minds

Little minds amaze me. They're the most incredible machines on the face of the planet. They learn everything - EVERYTHING in such a miraculous way. They just mimic, and try, and then, they walk, and speak. And before you realize it, they think, and grow...

They don't get less amazing as they grow older, either. Every milestone, every thought that enters a little brain, every word that comes out a little mouth...  Minds are soooo incredible. Especially the littlest ones!

I've been thinking a lot about this the last few days, and about how important it is to document my kids' presents, for their futures, and to remind myself how incredible they are (despite my 1 year old screaming bloody murder every time she inches closer to  her terrible twos, despite my 3 year old peeing on random cars in parking lots, despite my 9 year old thinking that she knows better than me... and despite her being just. like. me.).

Little Minds CH 1

Little mind, checking out a buncha silk worms at
Baylor University's Mayborn Museum last summer (Best. Children's. Museum. Ever.)


Last night Annie told me that she doesn't think she can hang out with a boy in her class anymore. Mind you, this was one of the first people in her class to be kind to her. In PE when she didn't know the games or what to do, he helped her. He's helped her understand where and how to rotate classes. He's been really sweet to her, and just, kind, since her first day at her new school.

But last night she told me that she doesn't think she can hang around him anymore... because he has a girlfriend. It's not the girlfriend part so much (though she thinks it's a bit weird and lame - thank GOD!), but the fact that his girlfriend is in THIRD GRADE, and "RUBS ALL OVER HIS BODY." What?!

Yeah. That.

So, this morning as I sat in her room with her while she got ready, I talked to her a little about this boy. I told her that it's a shame that he's losing a good friend because he he 1: has a girlfriend at such a young age, and 2: that his girlfriend apparently thinks she has to fall over a boy to make herself worth something. She said "Yeah, it's just weird. Who would want to do that?"

I told her that I'm so proud of her because she has a strong moral compass. She smiled as I explained that means that she knows how to guide herself to good decisions... where they are, how to reach them. She was smiling, shook her head, and said "That's SO crazy, because we were JUST talking about compasses at school." And walked off.

And my heart burst. With pride for her, love for her, gratitude that she is wise and strong (and knows that there are SO many things wrong with the rubbing situation) and, more than anything, that she's a kid. Here I was getting all "so proud you have a strong moral compass," and she just thinks it's hilarious that I said that, because they were talking about compasses at school yesterday.

A mind. What a lovely, ever-expanding, terribly incredible instrument. Here's to praying that we all never stop learning, and never stop teaching.

Happy Thursday!
Jessica

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is so much better than the little slips of paper I used to write on and slip in your baby books until I had time to enter them. I love getting to peek into your daily lives--we're too far away to do that. And even if we were next door--you'd be in your house and I in mine. so--keep up the writing, the observations, the appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! I'm so proud of her too. She is a special girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mom. Of course, you didn't have all this internet goodness to do it! Most of my notes on the kids are on an ever-open notepad on my computer desktop. At least yours reached our baby books! (And, Adeline doesn't even have a baby book yet. YIKES!)

    Thanks, Bee. I'm going to tell her you said that. It'll make her day. :)

    ReplyDelete