Friday, September 13, 2013

One I Love: My Sister

Today is a special day for me. It is the day, 36 years ago, that Fiona Apple was born.

Just kidding. She really was born today, 36 years ago, but Criminal or not, she's not the reason for this post.

One I love: My Sister.

This is from me to her, Rachel Helene. 

Our family trip to New Jersey - my dad's homeland, and New York City.
Twin Towers, which trips me out and makes me really grateful that my dad always made us pose awkwardly,
and always took really, really great pictures.



Growing up, I idolized my sister.
What little girl wouldn't idolize a big sister who played school with her,
shared her clothes with her,
shared a room,
cried with her when it was time to clean said room,
taught her how to make funky cursive and block and bubble letters,
dressed her up for "photo shoots,"
taught her songs,
read to her,
helped teach her to read,
took care of her,
loved her?

My sister did all of those things, and more.

Dress up. She got the cute tutu, but I didn't mind, I don't think.

I wish I had that sketch portrait of myself. She put me in a dress and brushed my hair and everything!

I don't remember fighting often. In fact, I don't think we ever really fought at all. We shared a room, which was the cause of much angst for her in her teenage years (no privacy, a tattle-telling little sister who I'm sure she had to scoot around, but who probably also kept her from having the freedom to make some stupid decisions...). But it was fun for me. I loved having her there, and when she moved off for college, I was so sad!

I probably only entered my drawing in the Arts Festival contest because she did.
(Notice, however, that I'm the one that got first place. Yessss. ;)  )

She scoffed at me sometimes. (By sometimes, I mean all the time.)
"Rachel, can I wear your blue turtleneck?"
"Jeska, ugh." (Say that as fast as you can, and you might have it.)
But she always said yes.

I'm the one pinching your head. She's got the lampshade haircut. We seriously had - have - the coolest family EVER.

She made snacks for us after school from time to time. Probably on her own accord - I'm sure she asked our mom if she could, and my mom was quick to say yes. Imagine... apples and oranges, sliced in perfect wedges, arranged in a color-patterned circle on a plate. Yep, that's my sister for you. At age 10. (And she still does those cute things, just more fabulous now. She's an incredible hostess.)

She taught me how to fix my hair, how to dress appropriately, how to stand up straight (or maybe I just learned it because I had to watch her put her back brace on and off each night.)

She held her head high when she started a new school, in a new town, in 7th grade, wearing new braces and a back brace. I can't imagine how she managed that with grace.

She taught me how to cheer. And also how to not be annoying. (But I'm pretty sure I'm the one who tried to teach her to do a cartwheel.)

She warded off creepy guys at the bar. She was so fun and adorable, but if a creep approached, she'd look at him, say "Ugh, NO." And grab my arm and pull me away. Hahahhahahaahah! She's so tough and hilarious!
Finally old enough to go out with her. And my hair was permed. Nice.
(This was her apartment, where she'd let me and my high school friends crash on the weekends. Cool sister.)

She stood with me at my wedding, and didn't even think twice about wearing a dress of yellow daisies (which fortunately looked really, really cute on her because she's adorable). 

Wedding day. She made the reception run without a hitch.


She is the most thoughtful person I know (other than our mother - whose personality she has, almost exactly.) She sends these amazing "thinking of you" packages that always seem to arrive at just the right time. Sometimes, it's as small as a card, a $5 gift card to Chick fil-a, or something I left at her house. Other times, a package of all kinds of notecards and cards and envelopes and pens for her Goddaughter, my eldest daughter, so that she can write her old friends now that we're in a new town.

My favorite was a package she sent to help me with my weight loss goals. Oatmeal, Clif bars, gum, deodorant, flavored almonds... I mean, what real life person DOES that? :*)


 
When one of my friends is looking for a job, Rachel searches online in her spare time.

When someone is going to Austin, even if she doesn't know them well, she opens her guest room. 

Taking me downtown Austin. I think this is the night I told her I was struggling bad,
and we ended up in tears in a cafe at like 4 in the morning with Sarah,
a few months before I got pregnant with our second. .
I don't know why my shoulder is doing that.

She is the one I called first when I found out I was pregnant with the child I placed for adoption. She loved me, she calmed me, she stood with me, no matter what.

She is the one I ran to after I had him. I stayed with her for two weeks, and she loved me, and cared for me, and took me to the doctor when something was wrong and I wasn't healing properly.

We flew to New Jersey one year for our cousin's wedding. She sat middle on all the flights so I could nurse 4-month old Aidan.

Toasting to the good life in New Jersey.
I don't know if everyone feels about their big sister the way I feel about mine. I hope so.

I imagine that my oldest daughter treats her little sister much as my sister treated me. And that makes me not only proud of my girl, but also very, very happy for her little sister. 

I prayed that God would give Annie a sister. And I'm beyond grateful that Adeline has a big sister as beautiful and loving as mine!

Laura's 30th birthday blackout.



Rachel Helene.
My sister, and one of my best friends in the world! I'd be a totally different person without you (meaning I'd probably be a bit of a loser.)

I love you! Can't wait to grow old together, and ward off creepy men at a Senior's Spa when we're wrinkled and grey!

Love
J

9 comments:

  1. Well this was just beautiful! You guys are lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly are. Of course, you have her closer, so maybe you're the lucky one! ;)

      Delete
  2. This is so beautiful and very undeserved. Thank you! (I love the pic where I'm sketching you - I wish we had that sketch too! I even made you put a fancy dress on!) Thank you for the "props" but I'm pretty sure you are awesome on your own accord. Maybe we just bring out the best in each other.

    I can't wait to be old ladies and scoff at all the creepy old men that try to hit on us. ;) Love you more than you'll ever know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes a mom's heart swell. I remember you girls together...and no, you rarely fought (can't actually think of one time). Though there's a five year age difference, somehow you made it work. Your big sis is certainly the most thoughtful person I know...seems to know the right thing to say...and do...how does one be brilliant and so caring at the same time? Smile....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's pretty great. :) The age difference makes me hopeful for Annie and her little sibs!

      Delete
  4. There's pretty much only one thing on my mind and in my heart right now:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgxn9DW1ng
    Your daddy thanks God for the blessing that is his precious daughters...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this, Little Sis. We have a pretty amazing Big Sis, and this was a wonderful reminder of just how amazing she is. Thanks for sharing it.

    And thanks, Big Sis. Ditto what Little Sis said. Except for all the crying and dresses and creepy guys at the bar stuff.

    ReplyDelete