Monday, January 20, 2014

12 of 30

Today marks day 12 of my Whole30 journey, and I'm not doing so hot.

I do have to give myself MAD props for my weekend. Reject, reject, reject. That is what I did. All weekend. Without one. single. slip.



Meeting all day on Saturday, table covered with sweet treats, and I didn't have anything but oranges. Lunch was served - tacos, and, though I shouldn't have eaten the meat (I needed the protein), I just put it atop some lettuce and ate it with salsa.

Saturday night, another test. It was the party of some dear friends (dad was turning 50 and daughter, our friend and sitter, was turning 16!). I rejected a chocolate fountain with all kinds of dippin's, all kinds of good food, and opted for the salad I brought. I did have a little brisket that night, and it was delicious. But not knowing marinade means I probably did have a little sugar intake. It is NOTHING compared to what I would have normally chosen, food-wise, however. No birthday cake, no chocolate chip cookies with bacon. (I made them for the birthday girl, and my house smelled amazing. Didn't take one. single. bite.) I cannot BELIEVE I didn't have one cheat bite of anything. I honestly cannot believe it.

I also passed up firepit-roasted marshmallows later that night, even after a friend tried to make me eat them over and over, on accident. HAHAH! She forgot I'm off sugar and kept trying to offer me these amazing, burnt, drippy marshmallows... yuuuuum. Just. said. no.

Sunday morning my coffee was black, and I passed up on the donut table. I ate a salad for lunch (but ate a burger patty... not the best choice on my plan, but I needed the protein!). And Sunday night was a birthday party for my niece and nephew, and I just said no to chocolate cake with strawberries in it, and ice cream.

Though I feel like I made huge life-changing strides this weekend, I still suffer today. I ate several bites of ham last night - which was amazing, and put some of the roast on my salad. The ham definitely had sugar in it, I mean, it was sweet ham. And today... something is wrong.

I have a pounding, blasting headache. I'm going to blame it on my hormones and, um, women time stuff, but I think it is a mixture of woman time stuff, lack of sleep, and the food I ate yesterday. It's just too obvious. No headaches for a week, eat a little processed ham (that is the only thing I can think would be the culprit), and BAM! Like a wrecking ball! (Which happens to be one of my 4 year-old son's favorite songs right now. Weird and terrible, I know.)

So, today I'm all in it again, no ham, no brisket, just the same things I was eating before my weekend-o-parties. I got a TON of fruits and veggies from Bountiful Baskets over the weekend, and I'm really looking forward to figuring out what juices and meals to make. Yay! I love all the colors. Love to cook!



Overall, I still feel good. I look back and try to engrain into my memory/mind that my days and nights were no better off - or worse off - for not eating anything I might have craved. Nothing changed. The only thing that would have changed had I eaten those things, is that I'd feel bad today.

First time I've left a part of delicious sweet tasty treats.... and had NO regretful eating to get over. Win!

Eat well, live well,
J

5 comments:

  1. Getting through the weekend without eating bad foods is a big deal! YAY YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you have the headache and hope it subsides quickly. Remember that you are totally rocking your body's world with these changes so give yourself a little credit! Congrats on having such an awesome weekend!

    (And I randomly came across this when I was looking for a recipe for non-approved baby potatoes for my own dinner... http://goodcheapeats.com/recipes-for-a-whole-30/)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say you TOTALLY were a winner this weekend, despite the possible nitrates/sugar in the ham. Just goes to show that your body will certainly tell you when you've slipped up a bit. Perhaps lack of sleep added to the headache? Loooong weekend, limited sleep. Proud of your efforts. Still trying to decide if I have the gumption to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all!
    Bee, I can't wait to look through those recipes! I keep meaning to do lettuce wraps but I get stuck in boringville and end up eating eggs instead. :)

    Mom, thank you. It was a pretty big deal to be able to say no to those thousands and thousands of goodies! Thank you for supporting me and bringing fruit to that meeting so I could munch on something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! That's all I have to say because I haven't been on here in ages and I'm catching up. Praying for you from afar!

    ReplyDelete