Monday, November 4, 2013

November 4: Alice

November 4: A person at work, past or present.

When I started back to college in 2007 it was at a strange time in my life. Geoff and I were separated at the time, and though we were working on it, we had a ways to go. It was a big decision to go back to finish, but I knew between the support of Jeff and my family and friends (Amanda Leonard - shout out to your role in this! I don't know if I'd have gone back without your encouragement and friendship!) I could make it happen.

I looked for a job on campus and was hired in the Deposits office as a student assistant. My boss was a sweet lady named Alice.

I worked with an insane crew. There were four student assistants, and we were literally crazy. We laughed all day. We made jokes. We pulled pranks on people that came in to make deposits. One day we set up a "confession booth" in the corner cubicle in our tiny office, and called it Real World: University Deposits. We brought a video camera and took turns making outrageous and stupid "confessions."

And, feet away, tucked in her little office, was Alice. She let us play and have fun (though occasionally had to tell us to STOP!). She was the mother to a group of weird and sometimes obnoxious (but always pretty hilarious) teenagers. Well, except me. I was not a teen. I was like 25. Aaaaanyway...

Alice doesn't realize it, but she fostered me at a time when I was experiencing immense growth and change. She played a really, really important role. She let me be young. She let me have fun. She gave me a place where great memories were made. She hosted the Christmas party at her house, and she let us wear hats and sombreros and bring goodies on our birthdays.

Most importantly, she trusted me, even though my background check might have had something sketchy on it.

She put up with more, and with more patience, than any boss I've ever had. And I needed that... to just be a college kid.

Today, Alice, I am thankful for you. God bless you and your family!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know Alice but I'm thankful you had her too! There is nothing better than having permission to act young, feel young, be young.

    ReplyDelete